Pages

Friday, November 24, 2023

Giving Thanks and Looking Forward

Thanskgiving is now over and as we digest good food, I've been processing the past year. Its been a rough one, I won't lie.

Damon hurt his back pretty bad at the start of the year and we've been struggling with doctors and insurance and so on ever since. This also meant I didn't have the much needed help on our homestead and a lot of projects failed or never got started.

We lost chickens to a weasel, caught 3 swarms of honeybees only to lose 2 of them, adopted 2 rescue dogs that we may or may not have been ready for, deer and groundhogs nibbled away at our garden faster than we could, and more.

That all said, I still have so much to be thankful for. Damon is healing, slowly but surely. Our kid is growing and healthy and happy. Two dogs now have a home where they aren't being abused, neglected, or abandoned. And we're doing ok even without the canned greens or fresh eggs this year.

For the rest of it, we will try again, with new knowledge on how to keep deer, groundhogs, weasels, and more away.

As I type, Damon is removing more dead trees from our property to help bring in more light to our very shady space and give less of our acreage to roaming deer. We're enjoying mild weather so prepping the garden beds for the winter rest is planned alongside putting up the Christmas tree and holiday decorations.

Supposedly the Celts viewed this dark and cold time of the year as a beginning. They started the day of a calendar on the night before and the year during the dark season. Before we are born, it is darkness in the womb and so too is it for a day to come. I like this theory so I am treating this time of the year as a beginning rather than wait for New Years.

Here's to Fresh Starts with a Grateful Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Green Bean Casserole Recipe

 It took a while for my in-laws to trust me to bring anything for Thanksgiving. My MIL and her mother don't let go of the responsibility...